Further details of arrangements for motorists and cyclists during the three-month closure of Tower Bridge have been revealed.
We reported in June on the City of London Corporation's plan to shut Tower Bridge to road traffic for three months from 1 October this year.
The closure is to allow the bascules – the lifting sections of the bridge – to be re-decked.
A Transport for London representative was greeted with gasps of incredulity at a recent meeting of Bermondsey & Rotherhithe Community Council when he claimed that "there isn't going to be a significant impact" on local traffic whilst Tower Bridge is closed.
Whilst the bridge is closed, motorists will be directed to use Southwark Bridge southbound and London Bridge northbound.
Bus route 42 will be curtailed south of the river, whilst routes 78 and RV1 will travel via London Bridge.
Now the City of London Corporation and Transport for London have announced further details of the arrangements that will apply during the closure.
Temporary restrictions include:
• Black Horse Court closed eastbound from Great Dover Street to Tabard Street
• Pilgrimage Street closed eastbound from Tabard Street to Manciple Street
• Mermaid Court closed eastbound from Borough High Street to Tennis Street
• No left turn from Newington Causeway on to Southwark Bridge Road
• No right turn from Aldgate High Street on to Minories
TfL has also published its official diversion route for cyclists, who will be encouraged to use London Bridge southbound and Southwark Bridge northbound.
The bridge will remain open to pedestrians apart from three weekends:
• Saturday 26 to Sunday 27 November
• Saturday 3 to Sunday 4 December
• Saturday 10 to Sunday 11 December
The City of London is hosting a drop-in session in Bermondsey on Thursday 8 September for locals to find out more about the closure and ask questions
For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.
7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?
Read the latest issue before signing up