London SE1 community website

Incense sticks blamed for fire on Tabard Gardens Estate

London SE1 website team

Four fire engines were called to a blaze at Otford House on the Tabard Gardens Estate on Sunday afternoon.

Incense sticks blamed for fire on Tabard Gardens Estate
Incense sticks blamed for fire on Tabard Gardens Estate

A local photographer captured a dramatic image of flames leaping out of the first floor flat.

No-one was injured in the fire which the London Fire Brigade believes was caused by incense sticks setting light to clothing in a bedroom.

"Keep clothing, fabric, and hair well away from burning incense sticks, as they have hot embers that can cause fires," said a London Fire Brigade spokesperson.

"It is important to check that all candles, tea lights, incense or joss sticks are fully extinguished before you leave the room or go to bed."

Fire engines from Dowgate, Southwark, Peckham and Lambeth fire stations were called to the scene.

Southwark Fire Station is due to close in January 2014.

The SE1 website is supported by people like you
This article on a map
Map
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Archive
News archive from February 1999 to January 2001
Got a story for us?
Contact us with your tip-offs and story ideas.