London SE1 community website

Westminster Bridge attack: South Bank Patrol praised for response

London SE1 website team

Security staff from the South Bank Patrol have been commended for their response to the Westminster Bridge attack on 22 March.

Westminster Bridge attack: South Bank Patrol praised for response
Ch Supt Richard Wood with South Bank Patrol members

Two members of the South Bank Patrol team were among the first to arrive at the scene of the attack, helping the injured, cordoning off the area, sending curious and confused pedestrians off the bridge and liaising with security and emergency services.

Chief Superintendent Richard Wood, Lambeth's borough commander, commended the South Bank Patrol at a ceremony held at County Hall this week.

Ch Supt Wood said: "South Bank Patrol were some of the first people to arrive at the scene, they acted quickly and calmly in a chaotic situation where members of the public and professionals can often struggle to think clearly.

"We are very grateful and commend the speed and selflessness with which they acted."

Govert Deketh, general manager of the London Marriott Hotel County Hall and chair of South Bank BID, added: "The London Marriott Hotel County Hall immediately recognised the need for a base and offered the hotel as an operational triage centre for the Patrol and Met Police.

"The nature of this event demonstrates how well people and organisations pull together and collaborate. The London Marriott Hotel County Hall is a member of South Bank BID, and we highly value the work the South Bank Patrol have done for the last nine years."

South Bank Patrol is managed by South Bank Employers' Group and funded through the South Bank Visitor Management Group – a public-private partnership of the major organisations on the South Bank and Lambeth Council. Revenue for the service is generated from London Eye section 106 contributions, private contributions from South Bank businesses and South Bank Business Improvement District (BID).

• Last month St Thomas' Hospital staff were commended for their response to the attack. Speaking at a board meeting of Guy's and St Thomas' NHS Foundation Trust, chairman Sir Hugh Taylor said: "On 22 March the world saw the kind of people who work here.

"This was the NHS and this trust at its very very best. We are proud of our clinical staff who went out on to the bridge with no concern for their own safety."

The SE1 website is supported by people like you
This article on a map
Map
Related forum discussions
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Archive
News archive from February 1999 to January 2001
Got a story for us?
Contact us with your tip-offs and story ideas.