An historic pub in Stoney Street has reopened after nearly four years of closure for the construction of a new railway viaduct - but Borough now has two pubs which each claim to be the authentic heir to the Wheatsheaf name.
The pub is thought to have opened in the 1770s and the current building was constructed in 1840. It is part of the collection of local property owned by the historic United St Saviour's Charity.
The girders of the viaduct were installed above the pub two years ago as part of Network Rail's Thameslink Programme but no trains will run above the pub until 2018 when the remodelling of London Bridge Station is completed.
The new viaduct will provide extra capacity for trains between London Bridge, Waterloo East and Charing Cross.
The building next to the Wheatsheaf was demolished as part of the Thameslink project and the pub has gained a small covered yard featuring an 'Eatsheaf' street food van and a screen which allows commuters to monitor train departures from London Bridge Station.
This summer a 13th century pitcher was found in a medieval pit to the rear of the Wheatsheaf site and it is planned to display it in the pub.
Red Car's chalkboard on Southwark Street describes its establishment as the "one true Wheatsheaf" and carries the slogan "accept no imitations".
The Wheatsheaf bar at the Hop Exchange is lined with portraits of regulars at the 'old' pub taken by photographer John Ross for the book he produced to mark the end of the previous era at the Stoney Street pub.