London SE1 community website

Bakerloo line extension: no talks between TfL and Government

London SE1 website team

The Government says that it has "no record" of recent discussions with Transport for London about a possible extension of the Bakerloo line beyond Elephant & Castle.

Labour peer Lord Kennedy of Southwark tabled a written question in the House of Lords to find out whether the Government had held any discussions about a future Bakerloo line extension south of Elephant & Castle.

Earl Attlee replied for the Government: "Any decision to extend the London Underground network would be for the Mayor and Transport for London, who would need to ensure that funding was in place for such a scheme.

"We have no record of TfL making any representations on this matter recently."

Earlier this year a senior TfL official said that that an extension of the Bakerloo line further into South London, which is poorly served by the Underground, is "not high up the priority list" for the organisation.

The SE1 website is supported by people like you
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Archive
News archive from February 1999 to January 2001
Got a story for us?
Contact us with your tip-offs and story ideas.