Gallery of international modern art situated on Bankside. Opened May 2000.
Tate Modern displays the Tate collection of international modern and contemporary art from 1900 to the present day.
Tate Modern is more than just an art gallery. The amazing space of the Turbine Hall - has housed a succession of installations which have caught the imagination of the public.
The arrival of Tate Modern has had a huge impact on the locality, and Tate has worked hard to forge good relations with the Bankside community.
Tel: (020) 7887 8888
Open: Sun-Thu 10am-6pm; Fri & Sat 10am-10pm
Want a handy printed guide to what's on in the area each month?
Pick up a free copy of in SE1 at Tate Modern.
News & features about Tate Modern
- Heat recovered from Bankside substation to be used at Tate Modern (17 May 2013)
- Archbishop's Park Bower unveiled (10 May 2013)
- Tate Modern's turbine hall shut for rest of year (3 May 2013)
- Tate Modern turbine hall filled with flotilla of paper boats (27 Apr 2013)
- £5 million funding boost for Tate Modern extension (12 Apr 2013)
- Young Spaniards hold protest on Millennium Bridge (9 Apr 2013)
- Forest Form at the Stone Theatre Gallery (22 Mar 2013)
- 24-hour bike repair pitstop opens in Great Guildford Street (13 Mar 2013)
- David Beckham backs Gordon Ramsay's Union Street Cafe (3 Feb 2013)
- Woolfson & Tay bookshop swaps Bermondsey for Bankside (26 Jan 2013)
- Tate Modern attracts record 5.3 million visitors in 2012 (8 Jan 2013)
- Southwark twin town delegation visits Bankside attractions (10 Dec 2012)
- Bankside and Waterloo's green spaces are 'outstanding', says RHS (31 Oct 2012)
- Artists re-imagine the hoarding at Tate Modern 'pocket park' (21 Oct 2012)
- Southwark teenagers organise youth employment conference (26 Aug 2012)
- Tate Modern, London Eye & Tower Bridge feature on Olympic stamps (23 Jul 2012)
- Tate Modern unveils Bankside Power Station oil tanks (16 Jul 2012)
- A Doll's House at the Young Vic (13 Jul 2012)
- Tate by torchlight: Olafur Eliasson's Little Sun comes to Tate Modern (12 Jul 2012)
- No Jubilee flags at Tate Modern: Lord Lamont demands answers (27 Jun 2012)
- Southwark College quiz raises £3000 for FareShare charity (26 Jun 2012)
- Seven street pianos come to SE1 (24 Jun 2012)
- Princess Alexandra at Southwark Cathedral for jubilee civic service (10 Jun 2012)
- New lights for Elephant & Castle's Faraday Island (22 May 2012)
- Tate Modern's oil tanks to open for 15-week summer festival (23 Apr 2012)
Forum discussions about Tate Modern
- Peregrine Falcon at Tate Modern
- 'Elephant & Castle Stand' at MIPIM Show
- Meeting new people SE1
- Gagarin Square
- Bells of SE1
- Branch of Paul opening at Blue Fin Building
- I'm trying to find one person in London
- Sampson House Development
- Lack of Southwark Street Cash Dispensers?
- Hugerford Bridge Graffitti Fine
- Renting in Scovell Estate?
- Debate - Council Housing in SE1
- Sirens around Southwark Bridge
- Bermondsey Street or Borough High Street?
- Bikes stolen outside Tate Modern.
- Road-marking stencil for "Union Press" project
- Thames Path/Shad Thames
- Gyms in SE1 or SE16
- Trading on the Southbank...
- Borough Market
Restaurants, pubs & bars close to Tate Modern
- Tate Modern Restaurant (52 yards)
- Leon (122 yards)
- Starbucks (132 yards)
- Del'Aziz (138 yards)
- Caffe Fratelli (146 yards)
- Paul (172 yards)
- Crussh (180 yards)
- Tossed (186 yards)
- Swan at the Globe (188 yards)
- Starbucks (192 yards)
- Tsuru (210 yards)
- The Refinery (216 yards)
- Tas Pide (218 yards)
- Starbucks (220 yards)
- Pret a Manger (234 yards)
- Tortilla (238 yards)