Southwark Local History Library
The Local History Library - formerly known as Southwark Local Studies Library - is situated to the rear of John Harvard Library.
Collection includes books, photographs, maps, newspapers, videos, tapes and archives. A selection of photographs can be viewed at www.southwarkcollections.org.uk
A selection of publications of local interest is on sale.
Tel: (020) 7525 0232
Open: Mon & Thu 10am-7pm; Tue & Fri 10am-5pm; Sat 10am-3pm
Want a handy printed guide to what's on in the area each month?
Pick up a free copy of in SE1 at Southwark Local History Library.
News & features about Southwark Local History Library
- £1.2m library to open in Elephant & Castle shipping containers (11 Mar 2014)
- Waterloo Sights and Sounds: new local history project (6 Jan 2013)
- Southwark calls on black African and Caribbean residents to contribute to borough archive (28 Sep 2012)
- Southwark Civic Awards for volunteers, MPs, war hero and actor (12 May 2012)
- Bermondsey's health propaganda heritage on show at Wellcome Collection (22 Feb 2012)
- Sir Terence Conran: Tooley Street railway offices "too good to demolish" (11 Dec 2011)
- Hundreds flock to reopened John Harvard Library (25 Nov 2009)
- John Harvard Library reopens after £1.4 million revamp (16 Nov 2009)
- Sir Henry Cooper unveils his own blue plaque in Old Kent Road (11 Sep 2008)
- St George in Southwark Festival 2008 in pictures (25 Apr 2008)
- Octavia Hill blue plaque unveiled at Red Cross Garden (12 Aug 2007)
- Learn how to make the most of Southwark's local history archive (9 Apr 2006)
- Unofficial Deposited Records at Tate Modern (25 Nov 2005)
- Jerwood Space roof mystery (24 Oct 2005)
- Tracing the history of Neckinger Mills (19 Jul 2005)
- Green Garter helps to connect the Elephant (13 Jun 2005)
- Pubs and Southwark hop trade exhibition at Royal Oak (16 Feb 2005)
- Len Reilly quits with prize (24 Sep 2002)
Forum discussions about Southwark Local History Library
- HISTORY Sumner Buildings
- What used to be where Pizza Express is?
- Where to get Bermondsey photography/paintings?
- Blackout in Southwark Feb 1940
- Colombo Street - the origin?
- History of The Hop Exchange
- Family History
- Human faeces
- Old Photos of Walworth Road & London Road
- Old Potters Fields Pics & Maps
- Greet Street/The Cut bombing 17.04.41
- Walnut Tree Walk School
- Is there a topic anywhere on "old SE1"?
- Roundabout at TBR and Great Dover
- Heygate design info
- The Riley and Maurice families of London
- Subway on Tower Bridge Road?
- Stephen Humphrey
- E.F. Mountain Ltd
- Court Tavern history
Restaurants, pubs & bars close to Southwark Local History Library
- Papaya (80 yards)
- Nelson's (94 yards)
- Subway (98 yards)
- The Blue Eyed Maid (106 yards)
- Chutney Jane (106 yards)
- Belushi's (108 yards)
- Double Happy (112 yards)
- Pizza 2 Go (122 yards)
- Micky's Fish & Chips (122 yards)
- The King's Arms (128 yards)
- Pret a Manger (130 yards)
- Simply Indian (130 yards)
- Roxy Bar & Screen (138 yards)
- The Dugout (146 yards)
- Twists Sandwich Bar (146 yards)
- Costa Coffee (156 yards)